Like many schools in Nigeria, the University of Ibadan offers a postgraduate study program to interested applicants. Known as the Postgraduate College, the prestigious program admits an average of 6,000 students to study various courses.
Are you curious about the requirements for the University of Ibadan Postgraduate college? Do you want to know which courses you can study in the program? If yes, read on to have answers to your numerous questions. Let’s start with the admission requirements.
University of Ibadan Postgraduate College: Admission Requirements
For you to join University of Ibadan postgraduate college, you ought to be a graduate of the school. You can also as apply as a graduate of any approved any institution provided it’s recognized by the Senate.
Before getting admitted, your application will go through the prevent Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
Intending applicants without any earlier higher degrees in suitable courses might study for the Degree of Master or the Professional Degree of Master.
Applicants with Research Higher Degree certificates can study under the M.Phil or Ph.D. programs. The admissions will depend on the recommendation of the relevant Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
Under the University of Ibadan Postgraduate College, you can study fulltime, part-time or occasional basis. If you choose the final option, you will be awarded a degree from the University of Ibadan.
To increase your chances of admission, you should also meet the minimum entry requirements for a higher degree study program.
- Top 10 Most Marketable Courses in Nigerian Universities
- 10 Worst Courses to Study in Nigeria Universities
Full List of Research Degree Programmes, Faculties, and Courses
If you meet the requirements of studying at the University of Ibadan Postgraduate College, then you can select any of the following programs:
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.),
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil),
- Master of Public Health (M.P.H.),
- Degree of Master (M.A., M.Sc., M.Ed, LL.M).
Below are the faculties and courses that you will find under the University of Ibadan Postgraduate College.
- Arabic and Islamic Studies
- Communication and Language Arts
- Comparative Literature
- Cultural Studies
- English (Literature and Language)
- European Studies
- French Studies
- Islamic Studies
- Linguistics & African Languages
- Nigeria Languages (Yoruba)
- Religious Studies
- Theatre Arts
- Computer Science
- Geography (Physical)
- Industrial Chemistry
Basic Medical Sciences
- Chemical Pathology
- Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Community Health
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Occupational Health
- Physiotherapy and Surgery
- Environmental Health
- Epidemiology and Medical Statistics
- Field Epidemiology
- Health Policy and Management
- Health Promotion and Education
- Health Services Administration
- Human Nutrition
- Institute of Child Health.
- Medical Demography
- Population and Reproductive Health Education
- Reproductive and Family Health
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
Agriculture and Forestry
- Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Extension
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Animal Science
- Crop Protection and Environmental Biology
- Forest Resources Management
- Home Economics
- Rural Communication
- Rural Sociology
- Wildlife Management and Fisheries Management
- Geography (Human)
- Political Science
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Adult Education
- Counselling Psychology
- Educational Management
- Guidance and Counselling
- Human Kinetics & Health Education
- Library, Archival & Information Studies
- Literacy Training and Development
- School Media: Media Resource Management
- Special Education
- Teacher Education
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Microbiology (runs for two sessions)
- Veterinary Parasitology
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Pharmacology
- Veterinary Physiology
- Veterinary Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- Veterinary Surgery, Veterinary Reproduction
- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical/ Electronic Engineering
- Food Technology
- Industrial & Production Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Wood Products Engineering
If you don’t have a first degree in Agricultural Engineering, you will have to spend an extra two semesters on the program. But if you don’t have a first degree in Industrial Engineering, you will spend an extra semester at Postgraduate College.
For candidates that want to study Mechanical Engineering, they will have to spend three semesters especially if they want to study fulltime. But if they prefer part-time study, they will spend six semesters at the college.
Faculty of Law
Under this faculty, you can apply for a study under the Master of Law (LL.M) Programme. However, the program involves more than a single department.
Admission Requirements for the Faculty of Law
If you have a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from the University of Ibadan, you can apply for this program. Admissions are also available to holders of the same degree from any other university acknowledged by the Senate.
Candidates should also have O’Level Credit Passes in 5 subjects with merit or credit in English Literature. The passes must be acquired in at most 2 sittings. Furthermore, the applicants might have to undergo an interview before admittance to the program.
Institute of African Studies (M.A., M.Phil, and Ph.D.)
- African Music
- African Law
- Dance Studies
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Religion and Belief System
- Visual Arts
To join the MA program, you should have a favourable honours degree in law, the humanities, social sciences and similar courses of study. But if you have jobs that are linked to the courses particularly in the civil service, industry sector or armed forces, then you will have a higher chance of gaining admission.
You should also have a 5 O Level Credit passes at not more than 2 sittings. The passes should be in English and 4 other applicable subjects.
If you plan to study full time, the Master’s program will run for 3 semesters.
University of Ibadan Postgraduate College: Postgraduate Diploma Courses
The Postgraduate College also has vacancies for diploma students. Below are the faculties and courses included in this part of the program.
Faculty of Arts
- Theatre Arts
Faculty of Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Radiation Protection
Faculty of Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Education
G.D.E. Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching in Higher Education (P.G.D.T.H.E.) in the Department of Teacher Education
Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work (Part-Time and Fulltime) in the Department of Social Work Institute of Education Part-Time P.G.D.E
Faculty of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Postgraduate Diploma in Drug Analysis in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Agriculture and Forestry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biodiversity Management in the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Management,
- Diploma in Agricultural Extension
- Veterinary Medicine;
- Veterinary Radiology;
- Veterinary Anaesthesiology; all these in the Department of Veterinary Surgery and Reproduction
Institute of Child Health
- Professional PGD in Child Health
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Population and Reproductive Health (PGD POP RH).
University of Ibadan Postgraduate College: Application Fees
Application forms for academic programs will cost you N10750. But if you prefer professional programs, the forms cost N15750.
If you are interested, you can get these documents between January and April. For more information about their availability, visit the PG website. Now let’s give you some tips that will help with your application process.
- After filling the forms, return to The Admissions Officer, Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan. Before submission, ensure you have filled all details as an incomplete form can reduce your chances of gaining admission.
- Prepare for potential delays by applying early. After all, a time lag of at least two weeks is required for the transfer of mail from/ countries outside Nigeria.
- If you have referees outside Nigeria, ensure they mail their reports to the College 4 weeks before the advertised deadline.
- Avoid multiple applications. You can only apply to a single department or program.
Use legible writing to fill in details on the Personal Information Card. Try to fill in all the required details as they play an important role in the admission process.
If you are a foreign candidate, you should have a minimum of a Second-Class Upper Division. This grade should come from a school accepted by the Senate.
Prospective candidates who might be admitted but cannot provide adequate proof of proficiency will offer a course of instruction in English. This course will occur before their preferred classes begin.
The College will also check if you have a strong basis for graduate work in your chosen course.
Try to include Referee’s reports and letters of recommendation with your application. Failure to include these documents can affect your attempts at joining the College.
You might have to take an interview before getting a spot at the College. These examinations are conducted by the Postgraduate College’s Admission office and concerned departments.
You cannot defer any admissions offered by the institution. As soon as the offer expires, you will have to reapply.