Are you an African student looking for an opportunity of a lifetime to fully fund your PhD dreams at one of the top universities in the world? Then you have to hear about this chance I came across – the Cambridge Africa Changemakers Scholarship.
As someone who’s gone through the challenges of applying for international scholarships myself, I get how stressful the financial piece can be. That’s why I’m so excited to tell you about this amazing program offered by Cambridge to support talented African scholars.
The Cambridge Africa Changemakers Scholarship basically covers all your costs – tuition, living expenses, and even things like healthcare and travel. And get this – they especially want to fund research that could help development across Africa. Pretty cool, right?!
If accepted, this scholarship removes all those money worries holding you back. And where better to earn your PhD than Cambridge? Even better, no separate application – you just need to prove yourself in the regular admissions process.
In this post, I’ll break down everything you need to know – eligibility rules, the huge benefits, and tips to optimize your application. By the end, I hope you’ll be as inspired as I am by this life-changing fully-funded opportunity for future African leaders. Sound good? Then let’s get into the details.
Read Also: The Best Countries for Pursuing an MBA
Who is Eligible for the Scholarship?
The good news is Cambridge wants to support ambitious scholars from all corners of Africa with this opportunity. As long as you fulfill a few basic criteria:
- You must be a citizen of an African country. They want to invest in the incredible talent right across the continent.
- You’re applying for a PhD program at the University of Cambridge. They make this scholarship available for doctoral-level studies in any field.
- Preference will be given to research proposals that directly address issues of sustainability, development challenges, or other areas that could benefit communities in Africa. So take time to craft a compelling thesis!
What Exactly is Covered?
I mentioned this scholarship is fully funded, but let me explain exactly what that entails:
- Full payment of your tuition fees for the entire PhD program at Cambridge. That’s a huge financial lift off your shoulders.
- A generous living stipend to cover your basic costs of housing, food, bills etc. Cambridge understands the high expense of living and studying in the UK.
- Health insurance coverage through the UK’s National Health Service. One less thing to stress about!
- A budget for travel related to your research, whether fieldwork trips or conferences. They want to support your work and success.
How to Apply
The application process is straightforward – thankfully no separate lengthy scholarship application on top of your graduate admissions forms. Simply:
- Complete the University of Cambridge’s standard PhD admission application before the departmental deadline.
- Be sure to highlight how your proposed research aligns with the goals of this scholarship in your statements and resume.
- No other steps are needed. The selection committee will review eligible candidates.
Since there is no singular scholarship deadline, make sure to pay attention to individual PhD program requirements at Cambridge. Generally:
- Start scouting potential supervisors and research topics you’re passionate about from January onwards.
- Most departmental deadlines for admissions fall between late January to March. Some are as early as October the prior year.
- Selection committees review applications on a rolling basis. Successful scholarship applicants are notified around the same time as admission offers.
Tips to Strengthen Your Application
To improve your chances of standing out, consider these tips when preparing your documents:
- Ask your recommenders to directly address how your work could benefit sustainable development in Africa.
- Clearly articulate your research question and its significance/impact in your personal statement.
- Showcase any related experiences like fieldwork, local community involvement or knowledge of the issues.
- Consider contacting professors at Cambridge who specialize in your proposed area of study for guidance.
- Ask your current institution for assistance with language proficiency exams if needed.
The Benefits Don’t Stop After Graduation
One final advantage – as a Cambridge alumnus, you gain access to a vast network of industry professionals, researchers, and leaders globally. This opens many doors post-PhD to continue your impactful career advocating for Africa.