If you want to set up a business, you will have to perform various tasks. However, getting and registering a name for your business stands as one of the most important parts of running a business. You must have carried out a CAC Public Search as well to find out if the name has not been taken.
To register a business in Nigeria, you will have to engage the services of the CAC. So, in this article, I will show you how to register and check your company name with the CAC Public Search. But let’s talk about the functions of this agency.
What is Corporate Affairs Commission CAC?
The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) was established in 1990. It’s also an agency that monitors the formation and management of Nigerian firms. Besides its staff consists of professional accountants, secretaries, and lawyers.
The functions of this agency falls into 3 broad categories such as
- Category A: Registry
- Category B: Registration of Business Name
- Category C: Registration of Incorporated Trustees
Under these classes, you will find the services listed below
- Incorporation of Public, Private Companies or Limited by guarantee.
- Registration of Business Names
- 24 Hour Incorporation For Companies
- Carry out inspections
- Release of verified true copies of filed paperwork
- Registration of mortgages or share capitals
- Records various details of the business such as its annual returns and increases. It also processes the filing of charges in memo, article, and addresses of the company.
- Carries out investigations on companies based on the request of shareholders/public.
- Run companies and helps with the voluntary winding up of businesses.
- Ensures that businesses comply with the CAMA directives.
- Offers Sales of forms and other printed works by the Commission
- Handles enquires and complaints about its services.
- Assists in the accreditation of professionals who have direct access to the Company’s registry. These individuals include chartered accountants, secretaries, and lawyers.
Apart from offering the above-listed services, the Commission groups businesses into four distinct classes such as:
- Public Limited Company (PLC)
- Private Limited Company (LTD)
- Companies Limited by Guarantee
- Unlimited Companies
Now let’s show you how to check and register your business name with the CAC.
How to do a CAC Public Search and Register Your Business Name
- Choose Your Business Name – Select the name of your business and log on to https://publicsearch.cac.gov.ng/ComSearch/ to confirm if any other company has not taken the name.
- Perform an Online Search – Input your preferred name and click Search. If you notice a captcha, tick the box especially before starting the search. If another business uses your name, the website will display its name, address, and registration number. It will also include its date of registration by the CAC. But if the name does not belong to any business, the website will provide a blank form. This means that you can use this name for your new company and submit it for registration. As soon the Commission accepts the name, you will have to complete its registration within 60 days.
- Fill the Online Form.
Visit the CAC Registration Portal and provide details such as
- Your business name
- Type of business
- The address of your company
- The name, occupation, and address of the owner.
- The owner’s signature.
Next, check and pay the fees that cover filing and stamp duty. You can make these payments at the bank or on the website.
- Prepare and Scan Vital Paperwork – Gather the following documents, scan, and upload them to the portal. The paperwork should include items such as-
- Evidence of Payments from the Commission
- Memorandum and Article of Association (MEMART)
- Verified Form of Identification for Directors/Subscribers/ Secretary
- Form CAC1.1
- Submit and Wait for Approval
Submit the documents and pay all required fees. If you submitted your forms correctly, the Commission will approve your application and prepare a certificate for your business name.
If you want to collect the certificate, visit your selected CAC office and present the original copies of the documents listed in step 4. At this location, you will also receive certified True copies of the paperwork.
Registering a business via the CAC does not require many steps. Besides, the certificate should be ready within a week.
I hope you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share on social media. You can also drop your comments in the space below.